My first souffle. And it worked! And it was divine!
So proud I could pop.
(serves 5/6 as a starter)
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
Pinch of mace
150ml thick bechamel sauce made using SR flour rather than plain – I use this method. Half the amounts then reduce the amount of milk again by about 50ml.
2 eggs, yolks and whites seperated
1 tblspn chopped parsley
Optional – blue cheese or goats cheese or parmesan
Finely grated Parmesan
- Toss the squash with a little olive oil, seasoning and mace. Roast in a 200 oC oven for 40 mins until soft and golden brown.
- While the squash is roasting, make the bechamel sauce and set aside.
- Mash the squash, parsley, egg yolks and cheese (if using) together. Mix in the bechamel sauce. Season carefully.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. Use a metal spoon to fold the egg whites very carefully but thoroughly into the squash mixture.
- Spoon mixture into lightly oiled ramekins until 2/3 full. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan and bake in a bain marie (baking tin with 2m of water in it) for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
Congratulations!! It looks delicious!!
I enjoy your blog so very much .. I can’t wait to try this recipe and think it’ll be perfect for our Thanksgiving family dinner!!
wow I just want to dig a spoon into that
Gosh that looks so good…*drools*
Can I just say that I am guilty of being a terrible lurker…I really enjoy your blog & the beautiful photos & recipes you post, but I’m so slack at commenting 🙂
I just wanted to say hello while I’m here 🙂
I’ve never dared try a souffle but now… maybe!
Oh beautiful. I know what will be on my table very, very soon!
It looks absolutely perfect and I bet it was delicious too. Wouldn’t have thought to try this with a squash but what a great idea!
Gale – Thank you!
Judy – Thank you and eeeek! Might try the recipe again at the weekend just to make sure it’s exactly right if you’re going to use it for Thanksgiving!
Kirsten – Thank you. 🙂
Tracy – I was very pleased, must say. 🙂
Johanna – That’s exactly what I did!
Julia – Hello! Glad you said “hi”and am delighted you like my blog. 🙂
Nip it in the Bud – I hadn’t either. Now wondering if it was dumb luck…
Christina – Let me know how it goes! Please!
Antonia – I’d been intending on trying a souffle, I had half a squash… seemed like a good idea. 🙂