Made the following dish last summer and loved it. Knew at the time that we’d enjoy it even more come winter. And so we do. The bright flavours and warming spices are perfect for days when the frost lies thick on the ground and two pairs of socks just aren’t enough to keep the chill from your toes.
Venison and Black Bean Chili (adapted from Diana Henry’s Food from Plenty)
(serves 6 – freezes wonderfully)
300g dried black beans, soaked over night
750g diced venison
2 medium onions, chopped
4 plump garlic cloves, chopped
1 tspn dried chilli flakes
1 tblspn cumin
2 tins chopped tomatoes
600ml light ale or lager
1 tblspn tomato puree
1 tblspn brown suar
1 tblspn dried oregano
Chopped spring onion
Yogurt or sour cream
- Cook the beans in plenty of unsalted water until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add enough olive oil to cover the base of a large, heavy based pan. Heat to medium-high then brown the venison in small batches.
- Once all the venison is browned, place it to one side. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion to the pan. Cook until truly soft and beginning to turn golden (about 20 mins).
- Add the garlic, chili flakes, cumin and oregano to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, beer, sugar, and venison to the pan. Season with salt and pepper then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, covered, for an hour.
- Remove lid, add beans and cook for another hour until sauce is thickened and venison is tender.
- Serve topped with coriander, spring onions, a squeeze of lime and some sour cream.
Love that snowy landscape shot with the sunrise. The chili looks great too!
I got a present of another big bag of chilis for Christmas. I can feel a chili coming on….
What a beautiful sunrise photo! I would love to have that framed!
I don’t eat venison mainly because my family never hunted deer and it is never sold in grocery stores here where I live. I am going to try this chili recipe with beef. I’m sure it will be delicious.
You’re welcome to the original, Gale. It’s just an iPhone pic though – resolutely wouldn’t be amazing.
I love those sunrise photos.. Feel so warm.. Your recipe of chilli with beef sounds delicious! I love beef meals.